Instagram has always limited the number of people who can post swipe-up links in their stories. Yesterday, the company began a new test that could expand that capability.
It’s not a swipe up that people will be able to offer, but a link sticker, in this case.
These stickers will work in the same way as a swipe up link, but with a tap instead of a swipe. People will also be able to reply to stories that include a sticker, which they can’t currently do with stories that have a swipe up.
For now, the test is small. Is an excellent opportunity for those businesses whose accounts do not reach such a high number of followers.
The new link sticker is much more visible and can be added anywhere in a story. It also shows viewers part of the destination URL, although brands and creators can always use a shortener to make vanity links. To do so, follow these steps:
- Open Instagram.
- Tap the Stories camera at the top of your screen.
- Take a photo or video in the app or choose from your camera roll.
- Head to the sticker tray icon in Instagram Stories.
- Scroll until you see the link sticker. Select it.
- You’ll be taken to a page where you can either enter or paste a URL (or IGTV).
- You can reposition the sticker by dragging or resizing it with a pinch.
- You can also select from three different colours by tapping the icon before publishing.
- If you’re on an iOS device, tap Done. If you’re using an Android, tap on the check.
And that ‘s it!
It could be the start of web browsing from the Instagram app more often. We’ll see it soon, we expect!
Mendy Conen is our CEO
he loves to write about